Friday, January 4, 2008

Tulog na mahal ko... tabi tayo...


There is something about sleeping with another that changes the very foundation and sense of what sleep is and how it works.

To sleep alone provides the needed rest. The sheets are comforting, the blanket warm.

When I think of sleeping with you, I think of something different. Sleeping alone refreshes the body. Sleeping with you refreshes and strengthens the spirit.

My favorite sleep is in the rainy days, in the cold. It is my favorite because the comfort and the warmth of the bed are accentuated. There is the feeling of the softness and texture of the sheets surrounding and comforting your body. The chill of the air has made the sheets cold, but I also know that my body heat will warm them quickly. With two of us, I know the sheets warm that much more quickly because of the shared warmth.

After the sheets come the blankets, which bring warmth with them, too. They bundle around us, and make us cozy. I am not sure why this feeling is wonderful to me, perhaps it has to do with the childhood memory of being bundled in a mother's arms, carried in security.

The comfort of the bed, the soft firmness of the mattress and warmth of the sheets and blankets, becomes something more with you in the bed with me. It expands, and is a shared experience. It's like the difference between seeing a movie alone, or with someone; it’s like going on a roller coaster alone, or with someone. When you are with someone, the experience is shared and enjoyed because of the sharing.

The sharing of bed with you becomes a means of sharing simple pleasure in comfort. It is one of the most basic things that one can share. When we both climb in together, this sense of sharing is an unconsious but very real thing that makes sleep of a fundamentally higher quality. The sense of comfort moves from the physical to the emotional with this sharing.

Some of my feelings may be from sharing warmth, because when in bed with you, even when we do not touch, I can sense and feel your warmth. If it is especially cold, when we first snuggle in, we can be closer, and warm each other. It is almost as if in a time of need, you reach out to me with your being, and use it to envelope and support me.

Touch between lovers is the physical manifestation of the emotional union. This is why having sex is termed making love. Sleeping with the one you love has the same sense of physical bonding that reflects the emotional bonding. I love to touch you at night.

Sometimes it is just our legs brushing against each other, or a hand or arm touching to remind me that you are there and with me. At other times, the ability to reach out and touch you, to feel your body move as you breathe, provides the comfort and security of the emotional union during sleep.

Perhaps the most relaxing and intimate thing to experience in bed is to be spooned. To literally be enveloped in the warmth and love and comfort, expressed physically, is something I cherish. To spoon you, brings out the feelings of protecting, love and support I naturally wish to express. When you allow me to spoon you, it is an acceptance of my love and protection which is tremendously satisfying.

After the hard day, with stresses and problems, the world can simply melt away. I strip myself down, naked so that I can feel the warmth and touch, and climb under the covers. Laying on my side, I feel the covers briefly turn down, and then your touch as you climb in with me. The sensation of your body as it presses against mine begins the immediate sense of relaxation.

As you snuggle close, and your arm wraps around me, your legs slightly entwine with mine, my eyes close, and there is nothing in the world but you, covering me, protecting me, loving me.

I relax, and sleep...

A sleep that refreshes the soul as well as the body.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice entry!